In this mashup of a Ramos Gin Fizz and a batida (a Brazilian drink that typically incorporates coconut milk and cachaça) Team Lyan incorporates housemade whey to pump up the tang and texture of the drink. Like a good Ramos, it has that drinking-clouds delicacy, but also packs a weight that is immensely satisfying.
- 2 ounces cachaça, preferably Yaguara
- 1 ounce reduced whey, (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1 ounce blackberry and orange blossom syrup, (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce egg white
- soda, to top
- Add all ingredients except soda water to a shaker, and dry shake.
- Add ice and shake until well chilled.
- Double strain into a chilled highball glass, and gently top with soda.
- Express a lemon peel over the top of the glass, and discard.
3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup fresh-pressed green apple juice
Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stir well and allow to cool. Strain and keepo the curds for cheese. Add the whey back to the pan over low heat and allow to reduce by one-third. Let cool, bottle and refrigerate.
Blackberry and Orange Blossom Syrup:
1 cup blackberries
1 cup water
2 cups caster sugar
8 dashes orange blossom water
Add all ingredients to a large Ziploc bag, seal, roll and allow to infuse for 24 hours. Strain, bottle and refrigerate.