For this winterized spin on the Daiquiri, new flavors are added into the same template: funky Appleton rum and wintry spiced simple syrup add depth and richness to the original blueprint.
- 2 ounces Appleton Estate Rum
- 3/4 ounce spiced simple syrup (See Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce grapefruit juice
- 1/2 ounce lime
Garnish: star anise
- Add all ingredients to a mixing tin.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain over ice into a coupe glass and garnish with star anise.
Spiced Simple Syrup:1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cinnamon stick, broken up
4 allspice pods, whole
2 cloves, whole
1 star anise Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan. Add the spices. Turn the heat on low and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Remove star anise and turn heat down. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let sit for at least 30 minutes. Strain, bottle and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.