Shelley Lindgren’s Dusty Trails embraces summer strawberries at the height of ripeness paired with spicy rye whiskey and tangy homemade ginger syrup. Topped off with soda water, the drink is a cross between the spirit of a cobbler and the spice of a buck. Herbaceous, fresh basil further underscores the beauty of seasonal summer fare. It might be pink, but it’s got enough strength that even trail-tired cowboys will tip their hats to this one.
- 2 ounces rye
- 2 strawberries, halved
- 1/2 ounce ginger syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1/4 ounce honey
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 dashes rhubarb bitters
- soda water
Garnish: basil leaf
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle strawberries with honey and ginger syrup.
- Add rye, lime juice, bitters and ice, and shake until chilled.
- Double-strain into a large rocks glass over ice.
- Top with soda water and garnish with a basil leaf.
To make ginger syrup, blend 2 cups of peeled ginger root in a blender with 1 cup water. Add this to a pan over low heat. Add 2 cups sugar and 1/2 tablespoon ginger powder. Stir until dissolved. Turn off heat and bring to room temperature. Strain through a chinois, bottle and refrigerate until ready to use.