The most celebrated drink to feature Gardenia Mix—an unusual amalgam, consisting of honey, butter and spiced syrups—the Pearl Diver is Donn Beach’s iced take on the Hot Buttered Rum. “The mouthfeel on that drink,” says Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, “is just unbelievable.”
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce orange juice
- 1/2 ounce Gardenia Mix (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce Demerara rum
- 1 1/2 ounces Gold Cuban or Puerto Rican rum
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 4 ounces crushed ice
Garnish: geranium leaf
- Blend ingredients for 20 seconds.
- Strain through a fine-mesh wire sieve into a Pearl Diver glass, pressing gently on solids to express all liquid and discard the solids.
- Add ice to fill.
- Garnish with a geranium leaf.
2 cups Honey
2 cups Unsalted butter, cubed
2 3/4 ounces Cinnamon syrup
1 1/4 ounces Allspice dram
1 1/4 ounces Vanilla syrup
Heat the honey in a saucepan over medium heat until it starts to bubble and break down into a thin liquid. Do not let it get too hot. Add the cubed butter and whisk until melted and smooth. Let mixture rest for 2 to 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth. Let sit before storing.