Tip Your Bartender is a social media initiative from PUNCH connecting our readers with bar teams across the country via Instagram. We’re asking select bartenders to share their drinks (albeit virtually) and encourage the PUNCH audience to “tip” during the economically uncertain times ahead.
Between March 30th and May 29th, for every dollar tipped to bar teams, the Bacardi family of brands has generously committed to matching it with an equal gift to our charitable partner, Restaurant Workers’ Community Foundation.
Send a tip to the Aziza bar staff via Venmo by searching @Cole-Youngner.
Herb Your Enthusiasm
Cole Youngner, Aziza | Atlanta, Georgia
Working from a 50/50 Martini template, Cole Youngner swaps in white rum for the base spirit, married with equal parts manzanilla sherry and blanc vermouth for a refreshing combo that’s pre-batched and ready to drink at a moment’s notice. Scale up the whole recipe for additional servings to keep on hand.
The recipe calls for a heaping handful of fresh herbs—the bar recommends supporting local farmers markets if possible—and any combination of the suggested herbs will work well here.
Makes two cocktails:
3 ounces Banks 5 Island rum
1 ½ ounces manzanilla sherry
1 ½ ounces blanc vermouth
2 dashes orange bitters
1 handful of house herb blend (see Editors’ Note)
Garnish: lemon twist
- Freeze rum and refrigerate sherry and vermouth overnight or for several hours, until well-chilled.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend on low for a few seconds to break up the herbs and then high for maximum flavor extraction, around 10 seconds total.
- Rinse a coffee filter to moisten and remove papery taste. Strain the contents of the blender through the filter into a nonreactive container.
- Bottle and refrigerate until chilled.
- Measure 3 ounces into a mixing glass or pint glass. Add ice, then stir until very cold.
- Strain into a chilled Nick & Nora glass or other cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lemon twist.
Use any combination of bright, citrusy or floral herbs you have on hand, preferably fresh, such as mint, cilantro, rosemary, lime leaves, lemongrass, verbena, lemon balm, tarragon and Thai basil. Wash and dry before using.
Order ingredients for this cocktail for delivery via Drizly.