Tip Your Bartender is a social media initiative from PUNCH connecting our readers with bar teams across the country via Instagram. We’re asking select bartenders to share their drinks (albeit virtually) and encourage the PUNCH audience to “tip” during the economically uncertain times ahead.
Between March 30th and May 29th, for every dollar tipped to bar teams, the Bacardi family of brands has generously committed to matching it with an equal gift to our charitable partner, Restaurant Workers’ Community Foundation.
Send a tip to the Nitecap bar staff via Venmo by searching @Natasha-David-Oertel-1.
Robert Struthers, Nitecap | New York
Few classics inspire as many modern interpretations as the Old-Fashioned. Nitecap’s take on the timeless template leans on a number of common household ingredients like butter, coffee beans and chocolate bitters, for a series of thoughtful, comforting upgrades.
2 ounces brown butter–washed Santa Teresa 1796 Rum (see Editors’ Note)
1 teaspoon salted cane syrup (see Editors’ Note)
1 dash Angostura bitters
1 dash chocolate bitters
3 coffee beans
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass. Add ice and stir until chilled. Strain into a double rocks glass with ice.
Brown Butter–Washed Santa Teresa 1796 rum
4 ounces butter
1 bottle (750mL) Santa Teresa 1796 rum
- Cut butter into small, even pieces.
- Heat butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly.
- Once butter starts to smell like toasted hazelnuts and milk solids are a golden brown, remove from pan and quickly pour into a large, sealable, non-reactive container.
- Add the bottle of rum and stir to combine. Cover and place into freezer.
- Remove after 24 hours, strain through a coffee filter or Superbag, then return to bottle, label and date.
Salted Cane Syrup
1,000 grams cane sugar
500 grams filtered water
5 grams salt solution (3:1, water to kosher salt)
- Add water and salt solution to a blender.
- On a low speed, add sugar slowly, blending until smooth and fully dissolved.
- Store in a sealed container and refrigerate.
Order ingredients for this cocktail for delivery via Drizly.