Your daily dose of news and happenings from around the drink-o-sphere:
– Although mezcal was nearly unheard of in Bangkok even a year ago, the agave spirit now has a dedicated following within the city.
– Perry, or pear cider, is finding a new audience in America where its close relative apple cider is the fastest growing segment in the U.S. alcohol market.
– Blending is the dirty secret of the whiskey world, but one Utah distillery is staking its name on it.
– Two unheard-of grapes are competing as China begins to develop its signature wine style.
– In Tokyo, happy hour often includes a bottle of Hoppy paired with a shot of shochu, a spirit that ranks above sake in popularity.
– A recent panel on the Supreme Court’s food culture revealed that a large part of the justices’ civility stems from shared meals and good wine.
– Winemakers in Monterey County are embracing new grape choices to represent the region.
[Flickr: Photo/Darij & Ana]