Your daily dose of news and happenings from around the drink-o-sphere:
– A British marketing company brewed a beer based on tweets from New Year’s Eve, matching sentiments and hashtags to corresponding flavors.
– In colonial America, Madeira accounted for 75 percent of all wine consumed. Despite falling out of style, the fortified Portuguese wine is now enjoying an American revival.
– The French appellation organization INAO gathered last week to develop a definition of natural wine, angering some winemakers who believe that their artisan processes should not be reduced to “ticking boxes.”
– In an Instagram photo, Drake revealed his involvement with a new line of whiskey: Virginia Black.
– In retirement, George Washington earned his income in whiskey—in 1799, Washington earned a profit of $142,000 in today’s dollars.
[Photo: Flickr/Waldo Pepper]