Your daily dose of news and happenings from around the drink-o-sphere:
– Early reports following the recent earthquake in New Zealand indicate that the wine industry suffered only minimal damage.
– A gin bar in Havana is challenging both the ubiquity of Cuban rum and the tenets of modern mixology.
– Turkey’s uncertain political situation is forcing the wine industry to focus on quality in order to boost export sales.
– Eric Asimov recounts the experience of drinking through a selection of Barolos from the ’64 vintage.
– Finally, Jennifer Fiedler writes in defense of merlot.
[Photo: Flickr/Marcus Hansson]