Your daily dose of news and happenings from around the drink-o-sphere:
– While the hop industry is expanding in many parts of the U.S. following the craft beer boom, Illinois maintains only 30 acres of the crop.
– Tales of the Cocktail shares the biggest bar trends of 2016, from low ABV cocktails to ingredients with a backstory.
– In Japan, the market for hangover cures represents a $178 million industry and includes products such as beef liver, persimmon and freshwater clams.
– Illinois is cracking down on illegal alcohol imports with a new bill targeted at the unlawful transportation and resale of booze.
– Finally, in Modesto, California, Gallo Winery uses 11 percent of the district’s electricity supply, but only accounts for 6 percent of the district’s electricity revenue, relying on local taxpayers to make up the difference.
[Photo: Flickr/Travis Wise]