Your daily dose of news and happenings from around the drink-o-sphere:
– Southern states are spearheading a craft rum movement that foregoes molasses in favor of freshly culled sugar cane for a more terroir-driven spirit.
– Legendary wine instructor, Kevin Zraly, will teach his last class this year at the heralded Windows on the World Wine School.
– Brazil’s wine industry is enjoying increased export sales and heightened domestic demand following the 2016 Rio Olympics.
– In England, a thief broke into a man’s home and drank “a quantity of rum” before passing out on the couch.
– Alcohol producers have enlisted virtual reality to transport users to the birthplace of their products in the hopes of influencing taste perception.
– Finally, Food Republic spends a day shadowing Alex LePratt, Brooklyn’s only master sommelier.