Your daily dose of news and happenings from around the drink-o-sphere:
– Welsh government leaders have expressed support for a potential plan to tax sodas and other sugary drinks.
– English sparkling wine continues its rise in popularity: producer Taittinger is planting vineyards in the UK for a future line of high-end bubbly.
– If you have $45,000 to burn, Rolls Royce has unveiled an extravagant “cocktail hamper” full of bar tools and glassware.
– In an effort to lower drinking rates and discourage binge drinking, Ireland is hoping to implement a minimum price for alcohol.
– The latest in the alcohol delivery trend? Amazon Prime is now offering one-hour deliveries in Manhattan.
– One Australian brewer has found success with avocado beer.
– Newly proposed legislation in the U.S. would redefine hard cider as wine for the purposes of excise tax.
– Finally, after Maryland lawmakers raised the sales tax on alcohol four years ago, one of the unexpected side effects was a decrease in the number of gonorrhea cases.
[Photo: Flickr/Fabrizio Sciami]