(n.) This bartending tool, usually made of metal, is used to strain a chilled cocktail into the service glass and comes in two main types: the Hawthorne strainer, a flat perforated disk with a wire coil that encircles the disk; and the Julep strainer, a shallow perforated bowl with a handle. Traditionally, the Hawthorne is used to strain shaken drinks, while the Julep is used for stirred drinks. In a pinch, however, either will work.

Tagged: bar tools