While experimenting with introducing sherry into the 50/50 Martini format, Natasha Bermudez realized that the fortified wine works well in Margaritas, too. Her 50/50 Margarita splits the base of the drink between mezcal and manzanilla sherry to introduce a touch of salinity and acidity, mirroring the classic cocktail’s already citrusy-salty flavor profile.
Natasha Bermudez | New York
- 1 ounce mezcal, preferably Mezcal Verde Amarás Espadín
- 1 ounce manzanilla sherry
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce Cointreau
- 1/4 ounce light agave syrup
Garnish: worm salt
or smoked chile salt (equal parts Tajín, paprika and salt)
- Rim a rocks glass with worm salt or smoked chile salt.
- Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into the rimmed rocks glass over ice.