Nick Bennett or New York’s Porchlight updates the classic ’70s call drink with a five-whiskey blend and 7Up syrup.
- 1/2 ounce Mellow Corn
- 1/2 ounce Tennessee whiskey, preferably Dickel 12
- 1/2 ounce rye whiskey, preferably Old Overholt Rye
- 1/2 ounce rye whiskey, preferably Canadian Club Rye
- 1/4 ounce peated single malt whiskey, preferably Corsair Triple Smoke
- 1/4 ounce Cointreau
- 1/2 ounce black tea
- 1 ounce citrus syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 2 1/2 ounces cold water
Garnish: lime wedge
- Combine all ingredients in an iSi whipper and carbonate.
- Serve in a footed highball glass.
- Garnish with lime wedge.
1/4 ounce lemon zest
1/4 ounce lime zest
25 ounces granulated sugar
3/4 ounce chopped ginger
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
25 ounces water, by volume
10 grams citric acid
5 grams malic acid
1 ounce lime juice, by volume
1 ounce lemon juice, by volume
Combine all ingredients, except lemon and lime juice, in a medium pot and simmer for ten minutes. Remove from the heat and add the juices. Let the syrup cool. Strain through a fine mesh strainer and store in a refrigerator. Yields approximately 1 quart.