Maks Pazuniak used the New Orleans classic La Louisiane as a jumping off point for this rye drink. However, he kept only the rye, throwing out all the other usual ingredients. The oddball result makes for an enjoyably bitter little glass of fruit punch. The recipe was published by Pazuniak and Kirk Estopinal in the influential Beta Drinks (the sequel to the even more influential Rogue Drinks) in 2011.
- 1 1/2 ounces rye whiskey
- 1 ounce apricot liqueur, preferably Marie Brizard Apry
- 1/2 ounce Amaro Averna
- 1/2 ounce Angostura bitters
- 1/4 ounce apple brandy, preferably Laird's Bonded
- Campari, for rinse
Garnish: orange twist
- Fill a rocks glass with ice. Rinse ice in glass with Campari.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into rocks glass.
- Garnish with orange twist.