“I wanted to kind of give people license to act the fool,” says Owens. His cocktail blends uplifting citrusy acidity, berry brightness, floral Spanish wine and a kiss of honeysuckle sweetness, with a cava rosé float and Cajun grapefruit foam garnish lending lighthearted effervescence. “When you drink it, you feel really good, and you feel bubbly inside—like you want to dance on tables,” says Owens.
Act a Fool
Jonathan Owens | New York City
- 2 ounces Bombay Sapphire gin
- 1/4 ounce Spanish moscatel
- 1/4 ounce lemon honeysuckle syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/4 ounce strawberry macerate (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce cava rosé
Garnish: Cajun grapefruit air foam (see Editor’s Note) and edible flowers
- Combine all ingredients except cava rosé in a shaker and fill with ice. Shake hard until chilled.
- Double-strain into a coupe, top with cava rosé and garnish the top of the drink with Cajun grapefruit air foam and edible flowers.
Lemon Honeysuckle Syrup
4 cups water
2 cups organic brown sugar
2 cups dried honeysuckle flowers
peels of 3 lemons
Heat the water in a pot and bring to a boil. Add sugar, flowers and lemon peels. Allow to cool, then cover and let sit for at least 48 hours at room temperature. Pass through a fine-mesh strainer to remove solids. Keeps, refrigerated, for up to 1 week.
2 liters blanco vermouth
1 liter Bombay Sapphire gin
4 cups diced strawberries
544 grams sugar
Add all ingredients to a large container, and stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 72 hours. Keeps, refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks.
Cajun Grapefruit Air Foam
515 grams water, divided
7.2 grams sucrose
640 grams fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice
53 grams store-bought Cajun seasoning
Bring 200 grams of the water to a boil and stir in the sucrose to dissolve. Allow to cool, then add remaining water, juice and seasoning. Mix with an immersion blender until the mixture achieves a foamy texture. Keeps, refrigerated, for up to 3 days.