Though the aperitif comes in many forms, the Al Fresco Spritz keeps close to the classic interpretation—not too sweet, alcoholic, or heavy, and, most importantly, effervescent. Naren Young bumps up the botanicals with a measure of gin, which complements the floral notes of St-Germain, all balanced with a dose of acidity by way of lime. Young, a self-professed sucker for beautiful garnishes, elevates the drink with an impressive array of fruit, from green grapes to kiwi wheels to starfruit, which turns this batchable cocktail into a party unto itself. Note: For a single serving, divide all of the ingredients by four.
- 6 ounces bianco vermouth, preferably Martini & Rossi
- 3 ounces St-Germain
- 2 ounces London dry gin
- 1 ounce lime juice
- sparkling water, preferably Perrier, to top
- prosecco, to top
- 2 to 4 cucumber wheels
Garnish: 6 green grapes, 3 lime wheels, 3 kiwi wheels, 3 starfruit, 3 green apple slices, 3 cucumber slices
- Combine the vermouth, St-Germain, gin and lime juice in a pitcher over ice and stir.
- Top with equal parts Perrier and prosecco.
- To serve, place a cucumber wheel in each glass and pour in the spritz.