Ever since the Paper Plane first took flight, it’s landed on menus across the country, sometimes in its original form, but more often than not in modified states that, taken together, chart the progression from a classic to a modern classic to an ever-expanding family of riffs. The evolution continues with the Amen Corner. Created by PDT alum Nick Brown, the bourbon-based cocktail simply ditches the lemon juice from the original, tweaks the ratios and adds a burst of freshly muddled mint.
Nick Brown, The Spaniard | New York
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ounce Aperol
- 3/4 ounce amaro, preferably Amaro Nonino
- 4 to 5 mint leaves
Garnish: brandied cherries
- Gently muddle the mint in a mixing tin.
- Combine remaining ingredients in the mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
- Garnish with brandied cherries.