Inspired by the Seelbach cocktail, Grand Army Bar’s Damon Boelte likes to joke that the boozy American Royal Zephyr doesn’t have anything in it that isn’t alcohol: “What could be more American than that?” Boelte’s love for trains gives the bitters and bourbon-heavy drink its name, while a topping of Champagne keeps things effervescent.
American Royal Zephyr
Damon Boelte, Grand Army | Brooklyn, NY
- 1 ounce bourbon, preferably Old Grand-Dad Bonded
- 1 ounce Lillet Rosé
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- 3 ounces Champagne
Garnish: maraschino cherry
- In a mixing glass, combine all ingredients except champagne and stir.
- Strain into a coupe glass.
- Top with champagne and garnish with a cherry.