When Richard Boccato and Michael McIlroy worked together at Little Branch in New York City they collaborated to create this riff on the Old-Fashioned. Brown sugar mingles with a half-rye, half-Applejack backbone to shift the classic into a slightly darker place.
- 1 ounce rye
- 1 ounce Applejack, bonded
- 1 brown sugar cube
- 2 dashes orange bitters
Garnish: long, curly orange peel
- In a rocks glass, add sugar cube and saturate with orange bitters.
- Gently muddle to make a granulated paste.
- Add whiskey and ice (preferably an oversized cube).
- Garnish with a long, curly orange peel.