The Italians invented the Americano—Campari, sweet vermouth and soda water—but adding beer is totally American. This is the approach Damon Boelte took when he replaced the classic aperitif’s usual soda water for Einbecker pilsner creating a truly American shandy.
- 1 1/2 ounces Campari
- 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth (preferably Dolin rouge)
- 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth (preferably Carpano Antica)
- 4 ounces pilsner
Garnish: orange wheel
- Add ice to a Collins glass.
- Add Campari and sweet vermouths.
- Top with pilsner and garnish with an orange wheel.