Following a typical tiki construction, Jeff “Beachbum” Berry relies on a split rum base—part Jamaican rum, part demerara rum—and fresh citrus juices (lime and grapefruit) alongside a quarter of an ounce of allspice dram, which brings a richness and depth of flavor to this tiki rum sour.
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce white grapefruit juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup (1:1, sugar:water)
- 1/4 ounce allspice dram
- 1 ounce aged demerara rum, preferably El Dorado 8-year or Hamilton Guyana 86-proof
- 1 ounce dark Jamaican rum
Garnish: mint sprig, scored lime wedge
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a double rocks glass filled with crushed ice.
- Garnish with a mint sprig and a scored lime wedge.