At the newly opened Bar Beau in Williamsburg, beverage director Grant Wheeler leans on Japanese ingredients when it comes to the cocktails. Here, Japanese whisky appears as part of a split base with bourbon and bonded whiskey for a complex take on a whiskey sour.
- 1/2 ounce bourbon, preferably Heaven Hill
- 1/2 ounce Japanese whisky, preferably Akashi Ume
- 1/2 ounce bonded whiskey, preferably Old Overholt
- 1/2 ounce Bittermen's Tepache Pineapple Liqueur
- 1/2 ounce salted honey syrup (2:1, honey: water, salt to taste)
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1 barspoon peated Scotch, preferably Laphroaig
- 2 dashes Bittermen's Hellfire Bitters
- 2 hyssop leaves
Garnish: hyssop leaf
- Combine all ingredients, except the bitters, in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Fine strain into a rocks glass over ice.
- Top with bitters and a fresh hyssop leaf.