Andrew Volk sticks to his East Coast roots by adding vanilla ice cream to his spiced batter, which also relies on a dose of cardamom.
- 2 Hot Buttered Rum mix (see Editor’s Note)
- 3 to 4 ounces hot water, divided
- 1 1/2 ounces aged rum
Garnish: freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat a glass mug by filling it with hot water. Let sit until the cup heats through, then dump the water.
- Add the hot buttered rum mix into the preheated mug and add a small amount (about an ounce) of hot water. Stir with a small whisk until the mix is incorporated into the water.
- Add the rum and fill the mug with the remaining hot water. Stir with the whisk to fully incorporate.
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.
Hot Buttered Rum Mix:
Yields: 1 pint
1/2 pound unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup high-quality vanilla ice cream
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 black cardamom pods, grated
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated cinnamon
Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. If using an electric hand mixer, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix on low to medium speed until fully incorporated, about 2 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the freezer. Soften the mix slightly before use by setting out at room temperature long enough to make scooping easy, about five minutes.