Taking top honors in our Kingston Negroni blind tasting, this recipe sticks to the tried and true Smith & Cross as the base, blended with Campari, Carpano Antica sweet vermouth (the brand used in the original recipe) and the unexpected addition of a quarter-ounce of oloroso sherry. Further setting it apart, Schmidt recommends stirring the drink with coffee beans directly in the mixing glass to impart another layer of flavor.
Anthony Schmidt’s Kingston Negroni
Anthony Schmidt | San Diego
- 1 ounce overproof Jamaican rum, preferably Smith & Cross
- 1 ounce Campari
- 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Carpano Antica
- 1/4 ounce oloroso sherry, preferably Lustau
- 5 to 10 coffee beans
Garnish: half orange wheel, lime twist
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass with ice and stir until chilled.
- Taste occasionally to ensure the coffee bean flavor has infused the drink.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a half orange wheel and lime twist.