At the core of Britt Fox’s Applesmoke cocktail, a Baltimore-made pechuga-style apple brandy informs the entire composition of the drink. Though it only contributes a half-ounce to the recipe, the spirit—distilled with country ham, persimmons, pawpaws and black walnuts—stars alongside rye, maple syrup and apple butter in a funky mid-Atlantic take on a whiskey sour.
- 1/4 ounce apple butter
- 1/4 ounce maple syrup
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice (adjust up to 3/4 oz if apple butter is extra sweet)
- 1/2 ounce Asimina Pumila pechuga-style apple brandy, or any pechuga mezcal
- 1 1/2 ounce rye
Garnish: dehydrated persimmon round
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
- Double strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish with a persimmon round.