“It’s our version of a Dark ‘n’ Stormy if we were making the ginger beer ourselves,” says Attaboy proprietor Sam Ross. The key ingredient in this updated highball is fresh-pressed ginger juice, which remains “nice and spicy” for up to two days, but loses intensity after that, he notes.
- 2 ounces black rum, preferably Goslings Black Seal
- 3/4 ounce sweetened ginger juice (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 3 ounces soda water
Garnish: candied ginger
- Whip shake first three ingredients with a small handful of crushed ice, until you can no longer hear the ice in the tin.
- Open tin and pour in the club soda.
- Pour the drink into a chilled Collins glass over an ice spear.
- Garnish with candied ginger. Serve with a metal straw.
Sweetened Ginger Juice
Mix 4 parts freshly juiced ginger (skin on) to 3 parts granulated sugar, until sugar dissolves. Keeps, refrigerated, for up to 2 days.