Coming in second place at our blind rum Old-Fashioned tasting was Austin Hartman’s recipe. The judges were able to immediately identify the rum, which bar owner Paul McGee noted was “unmistakably Foursquare”—the Pappy van Winkle of rum—on the first sip. All found the drink to be “a delight,” as St. John Frizell noted.
- 2 ounces Barbados rum, preferably Foursquare 2009
- Heavy 1/4 ounce ROF mix (see Editor’s Note)
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 dashes Regans’ orange bitters
Garnish: lemon and orange twists
- Combine all ingredients in a rocks glass.
- Add a large ice cube and stir for 5 seconds.
- Garnish with a lemon and orange twist.
Combine equal parts Velvet Falernum and 1:1 Demerara syrup in a sealable bottle.