Banana-infused Japanese whisky is the secret ingredient in this drink, made using the same Bananas Justino technique pioneered in Dave Arnold’s book Liquid Intelligence. Typically, Hennelly makes the drink in large quantities and predilutes it by 12 percent water by volume. The prebatched drink then is chilled in the refrigerator, ready to be poured over a cube of ice stamped with the Momofuku peach logo. The proportions below, however, are for a single serving.
Austin Hennelly’s Boulevardier
Austin Hennelly, Majordomo | Los Angeles
- 3/4 ounce Campari
- 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Cocchi Storico Vermouth di Torino
- 1 1/2 ounces Bananas Justino Suntory Toki (see Editor's Note)
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 dashes absinthe, preferably Pernod
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
Bananas Justino Suntory Toki:
4 ripe bananas
1 750 milliliter bottle Suntory Toki whisky
5 grams shiro miso (white miso)
4 grams Pectinex Ultra SP-L
Combine all ingredients and blend. Let rest for 15 minutes, then centrifuge it in a Spinzall.