Beer cocktail guru Jacob Grier, author of Cocktails on Tap, calls the Averna Stout Flip one of his favorite creations. Working with the idea that dark beer likes dark spirits, Grier developed the drink while guest bartending at a Prohibition-themed spot in Portland. This boozy milkshake-like concoction works best with heavier stouts (think something like Young’s Double Chocolate Stout).
Averna Stout Flip
Adapted from Cocktails on Tap by Jacob Grier
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces Averna
- 1 ounce stout (like Young's Double Chocolate Stout or Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout)
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: freshly grated nutmeg
- Crack the egg into a shaker.
- Add the Averna, stout, bitters and ice then shake hard until cold and frothy.
- Strain into a wine glass.
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.