McLain Hedges of Denver’s RiNo Yacht Club takes a Japanese highball, built on Suntory Toki whisky, and diverts it through France; his Ballin’ is a Habit sees three unorthodox additions, namely a full ounce of Dolin dry vermouth, a splash of St-Germain and a few drops of saline.
Ballin’ is a Habit
McLain Hedges, RiNo Yacht Club | Denver, CO
- 1 ounce Japanese whiskey, preferably Suntory Toki
- 1 ounce dry vermouth, preferably Dolin
- 1/2 ounce St-Germain
- 6 drops saline solution (see Editor's Note)
- soda water, to top (preferably Fever Tree)
Garnish: grapefruit twist
- Combine all ingredients in a glass over ice.
- Stir to integrate.
- Garnish with a grapefruit twist.
1 cup water
4 ounces salt
In a small saucepan, combine ingredients and heat until salt dissolves. Let cool to room temperature and bottle.