Caitlin Laman, beverage manager at the Ace Hotel Chicago, builds on an under-publicized entry from the 1937 Café Royal Cocktail Book with this riff on the Banana Bliss. The original recipe calls for shaking equal parts Cognac and banana liqueur, but Laman introduces oloroso sherry to the mix and opts to stir the drink to maintain the sharpness of the base flavors.
Caitlin Laman, Ace Hotel | Chicago
- 1 ounce Cognac, preferably Pierre Ferrand 1840
- 3/4 ounce oloroso sherry, preferably César Florido Oloroso Cruz del Mar
- 1/4 ounce banana liqueur, preferably Tempus Fugit Crème de Banane Liqueur
Garnish: orange twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with an orange twist.