The layman’s Mint Julep, the Whiskey Smash comes with all of the flavor of its more famous relative but without the associated frippery (tin cups, Derby hats, et al.). Jerry Thomas called it, “The Julep on a small plan.” A few slices of muddled lemon and a fistful of mint helps lift and brighten the flavors, making this potent number dangerously easy to toss back. This is the Chicago bar Barrelhouse Flat’s subtle riff on the classic.
- 2 ounces bourbon, preferably Old Grand Dad
- 1/2 ounce demerara syrup (1:1, sugar:water)
- 3 lemon wedges
- 5-6 mint leaves
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 dash Regan's Orange Bitters
Garnish: mint sprig
- Add mint leaves, lemon wedges and demerara syrup to a mixing tin or glass, and muddle together.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and ice, and shake briefly.
- Double strain into a rocks glass over ice and garnish with a mint sprig.