This Employees Only take on the Prohibition classic Millionaire was named the Billionaire “because of inflation and the fact that ours is a ‘richer’ cocktail,” the authors quip. While their version uses house-made grenadine, Kala Brooks of Top of the Monk in Asheville, North Carolina, puts her own spin on the drink by swapping in bittersweet Campari for grenadine: “The amaro, fresh lemon and overproof whiskey, dance nicely with the absinthe bitters,” she notes. “It doesn’t even taste like Campari anymore, it’s so weird!”
- 2 ounces overproof bourbon, preferably Baker’s 107 Proof
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1/2 ounce Campari
- 1/4 ounce absinthe bitters (see Editor’s Note)
Garnish: lemon wheel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with lemon wheel.
3 cups Pernod 68 absinthe
½ cup green Chartreuse
1 teaspoon Peychaud’s bitters
1 teaspoon Angostura bitters
2 tablespoons mint bitters, preferably Fee Brothers
Combine all ingredients and funnel into a bottle, cover or cork and gently turn it upside down three times to blend thoroughly. Store at room temperature. Will keep indefinitely.