At Billy Sunday, the house Old-Fashioned is the most popular cocktail on the menu. The simple variation is made with high-proof bourbon and gets the addition of smoky-sweet Zucca Rabarbaro. A well-executed Old-Fashioned is “the mark of a good bar or bartender,” according to the bar team, who suggest that the drink order acts as a litmus test.
- 1 ounce water
- 1/2 ounce Zucca Rabarbaro
- 1 sugar cube
- 2 ounces 101-proof bourbon
Garnish: orange peel (expressed and discarded)
- Combine the first three ingredients in a mixing glass.
- Muddle and stir, without ice, until sugar is dissolved.
- Add bourbon and stir.
- Pour into a glass over ice.
- Express an orange peel over the cocktail, then discard.