In this spin on the Piña Colada, Devin Kennedy uses just a half-ounce of Trinidadian rum, letting Madeira contribute most of the body to the cocktail. To the expected coconut and pineapple juice, he also adds a half-ounce of amontillado sherry, for a slight nutty note, and a teaspoon each of cinnamon syrup and banana liqueur as “the salt and pepper.” It is, in Kennedy’s words, “the perfect Piña Colada.”
- 1 1/2 ounces Henriques & Henriques 3 year Madeira
- 1/2 ounce Scarlet Ibis rum
- 1/2 ounce amontillado sherry , preferably Lustau "Los Arcos"
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- 1 ounce coco biz (1/2 ounce coconut milk, 1/2 ounce coconut cream)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon syrup
- 1 teaspoon banana liqueur, preferably Giffard Banane du Bresil
Garnish: trimmed Piña fronds, shaved cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin with crushed ice and 3 standard ice cubes.
- Flash blend with a drink mixer.
- Strain into Pilsner glass over crushed ice.
- Garnish with trimmed Piña fronds and shaved cinnamon.