Carla Rivera is obsessed with calculating the ABV of cocktails. This one, a deceitfully low-proof take on a Silver Sour, comes out to 13.3125% ABV, or 26.625 proof. Slightly nutty (re: sherry) and sour (re: shrub), with lift from the egg white, this drink has a balance of light complexity and extreme drinkability.
- 1 ounce gin, preferably Bombay Sapphire East
- 3/4 ounce amontillado sherry, preferably Osborne Medium Sherry
- 3/4 ounce jackfruit-clove shrub (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1 egg white
Garnish: a few dashes of Angostura bitters
- Add all ingredients to shaker without ice and dry-shake.
- Add ice and shake again.
- Double-strain into glass and garnish with bitters.
Jackfruit Clove Shrub
1 package frozen jackfruit
Apple cider vinegar
Jackfruit is hard to find fresh and a pain to break down, so you can get frozen at most supermarkets. Let one package sit with apple cider vinegar and cloves for 2 days in the refrigerator, then reduce down over the low heat, adding brown sugar to taste.