Al Sotack has been adding the Bizzy Izzy Highball, and renditions of it, to his menus for years. “It’s a wonderful cocktail, but it also strikes me as a fairly modern cocktail,” says Sotack, citing its split-base starting point and heavy reliance on sherry, a common move at the time of the drink’s creation at the turn of the century that has since come back into vogue.
Bizzy Izzy Highball
Al Sotack, Jupiter Disco | Brooklyn, NY
- 1 ounce rye whiskey, preferably Wild Turkey 101
- 1 ounce amontillado sherry
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- soda water, to top
Garnish: lemon wheel
- Combine all ingredients, except the soda water, in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a Collins glass over ice.
- Garnish with a lemon wheel.