A “heavy half-ounce” –meaning slightly more than just a half-ounce—of lemon juice is added to the glass, and then the rest of the ingredients are shaken and poured on top. This has the effect of “sinking” the lemon to the bottom of the glass. “You’re getting little bits of just lemon juice in each sip,” explains Jelani Johnson, which helps balance the effect of the robust pineapple and maple-flavored syrup.
- 1 ounce lightly aged rum, preferably Denizen white rum
- 3/4 ounce blended, aged rum, preferably Denizen Merchant's Reserve
- 1/2 ounce overproof rum, preferably El Dorado 151
- 3/4 ounce grilled pineapple demerara syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
Garnish: pineapple wedge
- Pour the lemon juice into the bottom of a rocks glass and set aside.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a shaker tin with ice and shake until chilled.
- Add ice to the rocks glass, then strain the cocktail over the ice and lemon juice.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge.
Grilled Pineapple Demerara Syrup
Combine equal parts maple syrup and Demerara syrup (2:1 Demerara sugar dissolved in hot water). Grill pineapple until caramelized. For every ½ ounce of syrup, add a half-moon of grilled pineapple, chopped into small pieces. Infuse overnight, then strain.