In this elegant variation created for Blacktail’s opening menu in 2016, the carbonation in this drink doesn’t come from soda or soda water, but from Champagne. The Orinoco Bitters used in the cocktail are made for sister bar, The Dead Rabbit, and are easy to purchase online; in a pinch, substitute Angostura or similar aromatic bitters.
- 1 ounce white rum, preferably Bacardi Facundo Neo
- 3/4 ounce cola syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon Fernet-Branca
- 1 dash Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Orinoco Bitters
- 4 ounces Champagne
Garnish: lemon twist
- Combine all ingredients, except the Champagne, in a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Top with Champagne.
- Stir to integrate, and garnish with a lemon twist.
BlackTail uses its own house-made cola syrup, but several varieties are sold commercially.