This riff on a classic Daiquiri features vermouth “to show how it can brighten and lighten up a familiar drink,” says Wildhawk’s Karri Kiyuna. Here, she chose bianco vermouth to support “the funk of the Banks rum, while filling in some brighter botanicals,” making for a complex cold-weather cocktail that lives up to its name.
Karri Kiyuna, Wildhawk | San Francisco
- 1 ounce rum, preferably Banks 5 Island Rum
- 1 ounce bianco vermouth, preferably Martini & Rossi Bianco Vermouth
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce vanilla syrup (1:1, sugar: water, with 1 whole scraped vanilla bean per quart)
Garnish: dehydrated blood orange wheel
- Add all ingredients to cocktail shaker, then add ice and shake vigorously.
- Double-strain into a chilled coupe.
- Express the oil of a lemon peel and discard.
- Garnish with dehydrated blood orange wheel.