The Blue Angel (aka Angelo Azzurro) is a Roman-born cocktail with a notorious reputation. But that didn’t stop Masa Urushido from transforming this boozy blue club drink from the 1980s into an azure-colored, sessionable highball.
Blue Angel Highball
Masahiro Urushido, Katana Kitten | New York
- 1 1/2 ounces Japanese gin, preferably Roku
- 1/2 ounce fino sherry
- 1/4 ounce blue Curaçao
- 1/4 ounce orange liqueur, preferably Combier
- 1/2 barspoon maraschino liqueur
- Thomas Henry Cherry Blossom Tonic (chilled)
Garnish: maraschino cherry, preferably Filthy Cherries
- Place an ice spear or a stack of ice cubes in a frozen highball glass or handled beer stein.
- Add the gin, sherry, blue Curaçao, Combier and maraschino.
- Top off with chilled tonic water and gently stir.
- Garnish with a cherry, and serve.