The traditional shochu highball, or “Chu-Hai,” is a clean no-faff favorite with izakaya-goers who want to ease their way into the night. Calpico here acts as a tart-n-creamy cheerleader, for both the gin’s botanicals and the whispered floral notes from orange blossom water. Working a touch of eye-catching blue curaçao into the equation, of course, is just fun.
- 1/4 ounce blue curaçao, preferably Bols
- 1 ounce Calpico concentrate
- 1 ounce green tea shochu, preferably Gyokuo
- 1 ounce gin, preferably Bluecoat
- 1/4 ounce lemon juice
- Soda water
Garnish: orange blossom water, orange twist
- Add blue curacao to the bottom of a frosted 12-ounce mug.
- Combine Calpico, shochu, gin and lemon in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Pour entire shaker into frosted mug.
- Top with soda water.
- Mist with orange blossom water. Garnish with orange twist.