Among the first decisions to make when constructing a Rob Roy is deciding which spirit to use, as the choice between a smoky Islay or a fruitier Highland Scotch can have a drastic effect on the cocktail’s flavor profile. The Bold Rob Roy lives up to its name with two ounces of Laphroaig 10 Years Old Single Islay Malt Scotch Whisky, a full-bodied, peated example, alongside an ounce of Carpano Antica Formula Sweet Vermouth, a rich Italian bottling with strong vanilla and orange peel notes, and two dashes of Angostura bitters.
Bold Rob Roy
Anu Apte-Elford, Rob Roy | Seattle
- 2 ounces Scotch, preferably Laphroaig 10 Year
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Carpano Antica
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: maraschino cherry, preferably Orasella
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry.