When he was writing The Waldorf Astoria Bar Book, Frank Caiafa dove into not just the Stinger but its lesser-known variations, including a rye-based version called the Prince, and the Brant Cocktail, which adds Angostura bitters to the original formula. The Brant originally appeared in George Kappeler’s 1895 book, Modern American Drinks. Though Caiafa likes the way this family of cocktails tastes when the ratio is weighted more toward the base spirit, he believes they are at their best after dinner and, thus, keeps the ratio truer to the original spec.
Frank Caiafa | New York City
- 2 1/4 ounces VSOP Cognac, preferably Rémy Martin VSOP
- 3/4 ounce white crème de menthe, preferably Tempus Fugit
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: lemon twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass.
- Stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe, and garnish with a lemon twist.