While consulting for British-themed bar and restaurant Dear Bushwick, Natasha David envisioned the menu as the documented travels of a Naval officer sailing around the world. “I always think of salt and Campari as going well together,” says David of combining the Italian bitter with salted lime cordial. “I think of them like herbs and salt in cooking—they have the ability to bring everything together.” A loose play on the Gin Sour, the Brave Benbow combines two historic styles of gin—Navy strength and Old Tom—and is named for a British admiral.
- 3/4 ounce gin, Navy Strength (preferably Perry's Tot)
- 3/4 ounce Old Tom gin (preferably Hayman's)
- 1/4 ounce Campari
- 1 1/2 ounces salted lime cordial (see Editor's Note below)
Garnish: 2 kaffir lime leaves
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with makrut lime leaves.
To make salted lime cordial, combine 1 cup fresh lime juice, 2/3 cups of super fine sugar, and ¼ teaspoon salt in a blender. Blend until combined. Will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to one week.