Devon Espinosa created this deliberately non-smoky Penicillin variation during his tenure at The Tasting Kitchen. Although he’s since moved on to another position, the drink remains a popular off-menu option.
- 2 ounces blended Scotch whisky
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce honey-ginger syrup (See Editor's Note)
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- In a cocktail shaker, combine all ingredients with ice.
- Shake well, then strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
Combine 1 cup of clover honey with one 6-inch peeled and sliced piece of ginger root with 1 cup of water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes. Refrigerate overnight, then strain, discarding the solids.