Akin to a Manhattan or a Boulevardier, this cocktail is essentially “breakfast encapsulated,” says the drink’s creator, Aaron Polsky of Amor y Amargo. “But breakfast with Sriracha.” The mezcal is the smoky essence of bacon or sausage. The Carpano is the orange juice and jam. And the coffee liqueur, is, well, the coffee. Add a few Sriracha bitters for blending and it, “tastes a bit like a black cup of coffee and breakfast at a diner.” All it needs is an egg.
Aaron Polsky, Amor y Amargo | New York City
- 1 1/2 ounces mezcal (preferably Del Maguey Vida)
- 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth (preferably Carpano Antica Formula)
- 3/4 ounce Bittermens New Orleans Coffee Liqueur
- 23 drops Brooklyn Hemispherical Sriracha Bitters
Garnish: orange peel
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Express and orange peel over top and discard.