The Bumble Bee is from Charles H. Baker’s The South American Gentleman’s Companion. A crowd favorite, this frothy, rich and bright drink regularly makes the rotation at the Slanted Door.
Reprinted with permission from The Slanted Door by Charles Phan © 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press. Photography © 2014 by Ed Anderson.
1 1/2 ounces Jamaican rum (preferably Appleton Estate V/X)
1/2 ounce Jamaican rum, funky (preferably Smith and Cross)
3/4 ounce lime juice
1 ounce honey syrup (see Editor's Note)
1/2 ounce egg white
Garnish: orange peel and Angostura bitters
- Add ingredients (in the order listed above) to a cocktail shaker.
- Shake without ice for 6 seconds to emulsify egg white.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Double-strain into a coupe or cocktail glass.
- Express an orange peel over top of the cocktail and discard.
- Using an eyedropper, drop Angostura bitters over top of the foam. Drag a toothpick through them to create a design.
In a jar, add 6 ounces of honey and six ounces of hot water. Cap, and shake to dissolve. Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.